Skijoring and the City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival
Skijoring is dog powered skiing! Bold athletes harness their dogs' energy to propel them through the snow. Whether you're a spectator or participant, skijoring adds excitement to winter. Chuck & Don's is proud to sponsor the Chuck & Don's Skijoring Loppet at the City of Lakes Loppet Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2019. The Loppet is an urban cross-country ski festival that also features skiing, speedskating, the Luminary Loppet and fat tire bike racing. There are multiple ways to experience skijoring. The ultimate spectator event, skijoring races and sprints take place three days during the festival. See schedule below. If you're interested in participating, there are several learning opportunities before race weekend.
How can I watch?City of Lakes Loppet: Thursday, Jan. 31-Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019
- Feb. 1 / Fri. 6-8pm: Chuck & Don's Skijoring Sprints
- Feb. 2 / Sat. 2pm: Chuck & Don's Skijoring Loppet and One-Dog National Championship
- Feb. 3 / Sun. 2pm: Chuck & Don's Point-to-Point Skijoring Loppet and Two-Dog National Championship
I want to skijor!1. Sign up for a event If you're already skijor with your dog, find a City of Lakes Loppet event that's right for you. 2. Attend Skijoring 101 with your dog
- Learn about skijoring and try a harness on your dog at a Skijoring 101 Clinic.
- Nov. 10 / Sat. 9am-12pm
- Fish Lake Regional Park
- Note: Dogs should be friendly around others and must stay in their owner's car the first 45 minutes of the program.
- Dec. 1/ Sat. 10am
- Dec. 3 / Mon. 6pm
- The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park
- Note: Attendance at this presentation is REQUIRED before registering for one of the on-snow clinics.
- Getting your dog to pull
- Training for starting, stopping, turning, passing
- Skijoring in a group vs alone
- Pointers for hill climbing, going downhill and racing
- Jan. 13 / Sun. 10am
- Jan. 16 / Wed. 6:30pm
- Jan 27 / Sun. 10am
- Lower Stadium at the Trailhead
- $40 per clinic
- Ski downhill with some confidence
- You skate ski
- Your dog obeys basic commands