It’s always a good time to incorporate healthy habits into your pet’s routine. Try these tips to keep them feeling happy and well.
7 HEALTHY HABITS FOR PETS
1. PRIORITIZE DAILY EXERCISE
Regular movement helps keep your pet’s body and mind healthy. Plus, it’s an opportunity to spend quality time together and strengthen your bond. From taking a walk around the block, to tossing the ball with your pup, to playing laser tag with your cat, there are so many ways to stay active.
• Shop interactive toys to reduce boredom and prevent stress.
• Check out our play style guide to bring out your pet’s natural abilities.
• Make sure you have the proper equipment for walks and playtime, including dog collars & leashes, cat collars & leashes, dog toys and cat toys.
2. SERVE UP NUTRITIOUS MEALS
A well-balanced diet can make your pet’s coat shiner, strengthen their immune system and support proper digestion. It also helps them maintain a healthy weight, which can reduce their risk of heart disease, diabetes and hip & joint problems. Create a complete meal for your dog by combining proteins, toppers, hydrators and supplements. And make sure to rotate ingredients for optimal health.
• Take our Food Finder Quiz or chat with our Pet Foodies in-store to get personalized meal recommendations.
• Learn how to build a bowl that’s perfect for your dog.
• If your pet needs to shed a few pounds, try switching to a weight loss food for dogs or cats.
• For active pups, try making an athletic bowl to give them the nutrients they need.
3. BOOST THEIR HEALTH WITH SUPPLEMENTS
Supplements help dogs and cats of all ages live life to the fullest by easing, or even preventing, certain symptoms. There’s an all-natural solution for many common health concerns – everything from mental health to dental health, growth and development to hip & joint mobility. Plus, since supplements come in all shapes and sizes, there’s an option for every pet (even the pickiest).
4. MAKE TIME FOR BONDING & SOCIALIZATION
Take note of how your pet likes to receive affection – maybe it’s cuddles, belly rubs or scratches behind the ears – and show them some love. Training is another great way to strengthen your connection. (You can even train your cat, though it may take a little more persistence.) Along with bonding, set aside time for socialization to help your pet feel comfortable in new situations.
• Pick up some tasty treats for training and socialization activities.
5. KEEP UP WITH GROOMING & HYGIENE
Maintaining an at-home care routine is just as important as visiting your local groomer. Regular brushing reduces hairballs and shedding. Plus, it helps short-haired pets maintain a comfortable body temperature and prevents painful mats from forming on long-haired pets. When it comes to protecting their pearly whites, dental chews and toothbrushing are a must.
6. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE
Dogs and cats thrive when they’re hydrated, but many still don’t get enough water. Make sure you always have fresh, clean drinking water available. And if your pet still isn’t consuming enough, add a hydrator to their meals. Since cats have a low thirst drive, it’s especially important to provide them with moisture-rich wet food.
7. BE PROACTIVE ABOUT CARE
Prevenative care is essential to keeping your pet healthy throughtout every stage of life. Along with visiting the vet for regular wellness exams and vaccinations, you can take proactive measure at home by incorporating medications and treatments into your care routine. You should also keep a close eye on your pet's body, behavior and eating habits, and let your vet know if you notice any significiant changes.